How to Use the QI Roadmap
- Read about the foundational elements of a quality culture.
- Assess the agency against the characteristics in each phase, and across each foundational element, to determine which phase the LHD is currently in. (Note: Many agencies will score themselves in different phases for each foundational element).
- Based on the assessment, select and prioritize the strategies for each foundational element. Use the corresponding resources as appropriate. (Strategies identified in previous or subsequent phases may be helpful based on the degree to which the LHD has established each foundational element.)
- Move phase by phase. After implementing strategies in one phase, assess the LHD against the characteristics in the next phase and determine if the LHD has successfully transitioned. If yes, implement the strategies using the resources in that phase. If not, return to the previous phase(s) and identify which transition strategies would assist the LHD in moving forward.
- Sustain the progress made in each phase.
The QI Roadmap is not a prescription for developing a culture of QI but rather a general guide to provide direction and identify a non-exhaustive list of tangible strategies and resources for building a culture of QI. Each LHD is different and is beginning with its own organizational culture and challenges, which must be honored and respected during the change process to ensure smooth and successful movement along the Roadmap. At any given time, an LHD may find characteristics or transition strategies in multiple phases applicable. Rather than implementing all strategies within each phase, LHDs are encouraged to use the most appropriate transition strategies based on what it has already accomplished.